Running in the Rutgers Hillel FIT5K
By Eitan Sufian ‘16
The FIT5K means making a statement. It shows that I believe in a strong partnership with Israel. The Rutgers Hillel Center for Israel Engagement enables students to connect with and learn about Israel. This run is important to me as it will raise funds to continue important programs that enable the Rutgers Hillel Center for Israel Engagement to continue with its mission.
If you’re reading this, you can run, too!
Here are a few tips on what to do the night before the race, the morning of the race, during the race, and after the race. Read these simple steps:
Night Before: Prepare
1. Eat as you normally would – Don’t deviate from your normal eating habits
2. Hydrate – Make sure you drink plenty of water. I’d say two glasses would be fine. You don’t want to interrupt your sleep having to go to the bathroom.
3. Check the weather so you can dress appropriately
4. Lay out your clothes so you don’t have to worry about it early in the morning.
5. Review the course
6. Sleep – Make sure to get plenty of sleep.
Race Morning: Get to the Race
1. Eat a light meal
2. Get to the race early
3. Go to the bathroom
4. Drink some water
5. Warm up by jogging for about ten minutes
Race: It’s Race Time!
1. Remember your training
After the Race: Recover!
1. Drink some water, maybe a sports drink such as Gatorade
2. Eat a light meal preferably with some protein
3. Stretch out your legs a bit
4. Walk around—don’t stop moving right away!
5. Enjoy the rest of the day with friends and family
6. Brag about what you just did!
Now in its 3rd year, the FIT 5K is a 5 kilometer or 1 mile run/walk held to raise money and support for The Rutgers Hillel Center for Israel Engagement (RHCIE), which is the first permanent, pro-Israel center on any college campus. RHCIE is a model of excellence in Israel engagement, education, and advocacy on campus.
The Rutgers Hillel Center for Israel Engagement is driven by a core belief that a positive connection to Israel is essential for a strong, healthy Jewish identity.
This year’s event will be held on Sunday May 4th, 2014 at 10am, and will be held in Buccleuch Park in New Brunswick. Please come and show your support!